Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A bird's life and a cat's life

Sometimes I think I'm lucky to be born as a human being.

My friend called me in the evening that she found a newborn baby bird near her place. Eyes and mouth were closed but it was breathing and not moving. Some ants had found their way near it. My friend asked me what she should do. I suggested her bringing it home first and I would try to go down to her place to collect the bird after I had my dinner and fed the community cats. Mum said I am a busybody and asked what I could do since I'm no vet. I don't know what I can do to help the baby but I think it is nice to have warm hands to comfort the wee one. About 30 mins later, my friend called to tell me that the baby had died after gasping for breath. I could hear the sadness in her voice. She would bury the baby somewhere.

A black friendly cat has been abandoned in the park for the past few weeks. This evening I saw this lady with her dog stroking the black cat. I approached her and asked her if the cat is hers. She explained that Jasper (the name of the cat) is her cat, female and spayed. Her in-laws don't want her to keep the cat anymore as she is pregnant. She tried to fight for the cat to stay but I guess in the end, she lost. She is very sad not able to keep Jasper and has been crying. She found her dying in the park a few years ago and had to bottle fed her. Jasper is a beautiful cat but no longer a home cat.

Every day morning and evening, the lady/owner would come to the park to look for the cat with her dog. Jasper can't be found in the morning but in the evenings, she will appear. Mum and I notice that she doesn't eat a lot and the lady said Jasper only nibbles on food.The cat seemed very close to the dog and both of them played with each other. What we can do is to feed Jasper whenever she visits us. I hope she can adapt to her new life in the park.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Jasper!

KXBC said...

It's so sad, isn't it? The dog can stay but not the cat. The in-laws are just prejudiced. Tell her she can also get toxoplas-something-whatever even from dog faeces if she's not careful.

Any chance the cat can be adopted rather than be in the park? A house cat will not survive too well outside.

coboypb said...

Jasper seems to accept her new life already. She is not seen anywhere in the park in the day and would appear out of nowhere at night. Last night and tonight, she has good appetite. She doesn't nibble anymore. She eats almost as much as the other community cats. I hope it's a good sign and she not binging due to stress.