Monday, September 24, 2007

I must bake!

I didn't let my headache stop me. I had taken the butter out of the fridge to soften despite a dull headache. By the time Dad and I came back from the vet for Angel's 3rd vaccination, my headache felt quite bad and I felt a little nauseous. It must the hot afternoon sun. But I so wanted to bake and try this new recipe. Almond cake -using ground almond and simple ingredients like butter, eggs, sugar. I improvised by using half of the ingredients as I only have half of the required ground almond. I also used the mini paper cups instead of a cake baking tray and sprinkled some mini chocolate chips on top. Mum wanted hers topped with her dark chocolate bar.

They looked quite pretty before entering the oven.

I took the hour plus of baking to shower and cool down and sat in the kitchen, leaned my head against the wall to take cat naps in between checking on the cake. I had a bit of heart attack when I saw the cake mixture overflow the cups like lava and oil oozing out of the cups. But I'm used to see my creations not turning out the same way as the recipe describes or looking like the photo in the recipe book because I don't always follow the ingredients and instructions exactly. Hee.

Surprisingly the cat naps did seem to help and my headache slowly disappeared. Mum said I'm crazy and obsessed :)

The almond cakes/cupcakes hot from the oven:

The pieces that fell off and landed on the baking tray became cookie-like and tasted quite yummy.

The almond cake itself is like some dense, rich sponge cake and tastes quite good but not good enough for my friends to try. The chocolate chips added a nice touch to it. I think I will put less butter the next time and use a cake baking tray.

I think beside being able to eat what I bake, I enjoy taking photos of them. It's also a bonus if my family and friends like to eat them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks interesting. So you didn't let ur friends try? I love cupcakes; been seeing a lot of lovely decorated ones.