Sunday, March 18, 2007

Mystery of Mini's depression solved

I have been awake since 3plus am because I'm the only one in the family who adopts an open door policy for the bedroom. I checked on Mini who meowed at me when she saw me. She seems to want me to be around. I asked her to follow me to my bedroom and she rested on the floor. I stroked her a little before going back to bed to sleep. Then I heard her meow again and looking at me. I led her out of the room and she ate some food before pooing for the first time in the sand tray. By that time, it was 6am and I asked mum who woke up to take over to watch over Mini while I slept on the sofa in the living room till 9am.

Sis and I were puzzled whether Mini was depressed or just feeling post-op pain. She also looks like she's lactating (looking at her big boobies as Sis called them), so we were concerned that she has babies waiting for her to return. I was thinking about what to do with Mini while I was downstairs feeding the cats in the park. The usual bunch of cats, except for Fat Cat were at the park while I found Fat Cat in the nearby carpark.

At 1pm, I discussed with Sis and we decided to release Mini near where we trapped her near the edge of the park a few block away. Mini seemed quite happy to be out in the open. She first rolled and rubbed her body and started walking in the direction of the block of flat where I managed to trap her. Outside the flat unit at the ground level, she started sniffing some boxes near the stairs and we saw 3 kittens coming out to greet her. Mini lay on her side and one of the kittens, a white one, started suckling. The other 2 in black and grey stripes are friendly and started sniffing. So adorable. We are very happy we have made the right decision to release Mini who has 3 kittens. Mini has been such a darling. So gentle. She must be missing her kittens all the while. We hope to see Mini visiting us in the park as what she had been doing earlier before her sterlisation or we can also find her and her babies since now we know the location of their sleeping quarters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mini may change their sleeping quarters now that you know where it is, right? Nice to know that she's not afraid of you and will sleep on your lap. Of my cats, only Osiris will do that, but not Horus (even after 9 years).

I find it very calming to sit and zonk out while stroking a cat on your lap. Maybe its the repetitive strokes and the rumbling of the purring cat and its kneading on your lap that makes it so therapeutic. :)

coboypb said...

Mini and her babies are still outside that flat unit. Mum chatted with the old lady and the maid this morning when she and sis visited Mini there. The flat owners seem alright with the cats and would give them leftover food and water. Sis and I visited Mini and family just now. I held the kittens one by one to sex them. 2 boys and a girl if I'm not wrong. Mini is very alert to the noises in her surroundings but she is alright with us stroking her and her babies :)