Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Line @ Shangri-La Hotel

Sis and I treated Dad and Mum to a buffet lunch @ this cafe yesterday. The place looks cool with the clean white decor and the serving staff look smart in their attire. The numerous stations (16 I read somewhere but I didn't count) looked inviting with the trays of food.

This was my first plate of food from the Indian food station:
Ignoring my sore throat, I ate the naan with Chicken tikka, spicy mushroom curry gravy, yogurt sauce and a spoonful of tomato rice. Mum and sis also recommended the honey chicken from another food station. I must say the Indian food station is good like what the review I read has recommended. However, the roti prata I pecked from Dad's plate didn't have the aroma that I like.

Sis tried the lasagne and we agreed that it didn't taste as nice as it looked. Not enough cheese and somehow it tasted flat. I think my shepherd's pie is much better :)

Dad took this bowl of lotus root peanut soup which I took a sip and thought it tasted like Campbell's chicken noodle soup instead of the traditional soup. Mum said the cafe could have used some chicken stock to make the soup.

The salmon sashimi was fresh and I was enjoying every bite of it dipped in wasabi paste and soya sauce.

The Thai mango salad is refreshing and sufficiently sour and I like the cashew nuts. I was quite happy that mum and sis didn't like the onions in it and I finished the small plate of it mostly by myself.

After a few plates, Sis zoomed into the chocolate fondue station. We were pleased to discover that dark chocolate is used. The strawberries went very well with it. I thought the biscuits tasted only so-so but seeing them on skewers give me the idea that I could bake my cookies in skewers for certain occasions. Sis said the tiramisu in the cute little jar is yummy and she didn't detect any liquor in it. I didn't try it as I was getting full and wanted to try other desserts later.


The mushroom soup (with truffle oil if I read the food label at the station correctly) which my Dad said was not bad.

Cheesecake that was light but I think the cheesecake my friend's wife I tasted a few days ago and my cheesecake pack more punch.

Crepe with choc brownie filling which would have tasted better if the crepe is crispier (heated over the pan longer). The brownie is a bit too much for me due to marginal utility. The raspberry sauce tasted weird to me. I like the papaya - sweet!

Mum liked the sesame seed coated bread and spreaded a small piece of it with butter for me to try. It's really yummy. Sis and I had no more stomach space at the end to try more cakes and the ice cream.

We were in the Line from 12.30pm for 2 hours. Nice atmosphere. It was almost packed but we could get our food easily. It is a good place to hang out with family and friends. I don't have a big appetite to try all the food but it is one of the better international buffets I have tried that is satisfying. The buffet lunch is $48 +++ per person and we received some $22 vouchers that could be used for our next visit @ the F&B places in the hotel. I have heard from a friend that Meritus Mandarin's Triple 3 has a good buffet spread. Maybe one fine day, my family and I can try it out and compare.

No comments: