Sunday, December 03, 2006

His Majesty's Dragon

This is Book One of Naomi Novik's trilogy on Temeraine the dragon. I was introduced to this trilogy by Joan who was reading Book Two. I was intrigued after Joan briefly told me what she has read and I managed to find Book One on the shelf of Library @ Orchard. Joan also read that the Temeraire series has been optioned by Peter Jackson, the director of The Lord of the Rings.

After reading Book One, I can't wait for the movie to be out and want to get my hands on the second book soon. I read The Lord of the Rings before watching the movies and found it helpful to have the story being visualised on the screen as the writer, JRR Tolkien described the scenery and scenes so vividly but I was confused at certain points. Similarly, it would be great to see how the dragons and the scenes of the book are being depicted/interpreted and presented in a movie.

The style of writing by Naomi Novik is not as complex as Tolkien which can be hard to follow at times. I like how she described how the relationship between the lead character, Lawrence and the intelligent talking dragon, Temeraine is developed into friendship. The battle scenes between the dragons from the British Air Corps and the Napoleon's army are interesting and not too difficult to understand.

Amazon has some reviews of this book and you can read about Naomi Novik at her official Temeraire website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think I just saw this at a friend's house. Is it very popular now?

coboypb said...

Not too sure if it's popular but my sis likes the book. She even cried at certain parts. I didn't but I do feel the strong bond between the lead character, Lawrence and the dragon, Temeraine.