Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Visit to SPCA with Mum

I was on leave yesterday and decided to bring Mum and 2 bags of old clothes and shoes to SPCA in the late morning. The bags were for SPCA's jumble sale held every Sat. Dad called me when I was getting ready to leave the house and he was driving his cab 5 minutes' away from our house and wanted to give us a lift.

We were greeted by the barking dogs when we entered the pound. For Mum, it was her first visit. We first peeped at the hamster cages and see what kind of hamsters were hiding under the sawdust. Then I went into the cattery while Mum chose to remain outside and watched me play with the cats. She said she didn't want to give the cats false hope that they are getting a new home.

This good looking chocolate coloured cat was quite shy and didn't really want me to stroke it.















This cat was the first one to greet me and settled itself on my feet while I squatted and said my hellos to the other friendly cats. After cleaning itself for a while, it focused its attention on me and then the lanyard attached to my camera :)

Mum liked the colour of this cat who was a bit aloof but comfortable with me touching it.

This cat was licking the face of another cat. So loving!

This manja cat kept rubbing its face on my feet and sandals. It was so adorable and whenever I looked at it, it would meow loudly at me and start its rubbing habit on my feet over and over again. It was quite a nice feeling to have my feet stroked by a cat.

This black cat surprised me twice by just hopping on my lap to have a slightly more elevated view of the cattery. I would tease Mum by asking her "Shall we bring this cat home?" Haha. Of course, I know it's not possible with me at work during the day and having activities in the evening. I'm dreaming of a day when I can work from home and be able to keep a cat companion with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're helping out the SPCA! We got our Angel from the SPCA too, and we were very glad to do so. Don't feel that if you're not home to keep the cat company, you're depriving your cat of something or the other. For the same reason as yours, we hesitated adopting a cat for MANY YEARS. It was after we started talking to cat owners that we realise actually it's possible to maintain a busy lifestyle, and still keep a cat.

We spend our evenings playing with her. It was just for a short while but it was enough to exercise her a bit. After a few hours, we shut her outside (living room) and go to bed. I do the cleaning of the litter box and feeding her every morning - 1/2 hour. So we don't get to spend much time with her (and we miss her a lot!)

It's only during the weekends that we get to spend time with her. But you know what? She spends a lot of the time sleeping or wandering about by herself! I don't know if it's true of all cats but ours aren't that demanding of attention; just talk to her once in a while or play with her for a minute or so.

But I'm glad you're cautious about this; too many pet owners get their pets on impulse. Do give yourself a chance though; talking to cat owners really help.

All the best should you decide to adopt a cat!

Nausicaa said...

Sounds like you had a good time there. Perhaps someday your mom will change her mind. Since she's at home during the day she'll be in a better position to take care of the cat and I think she'll come to enjoy having one.