Thursday, May 03, 2007

Remedies for work frustration

Perhaps it was post Labour day blues or I'm getting jaded with my job. The past few days I was feeling frustrated and stressed over some work issues. My boss seems to appreciate my efforts while our big boss seems to think we should be doing more. This means sometimes when we think we have done our best, our big boss would think it's not enough. It feels a bit confusing at times.

I have been doing this work for almost 7 years. I have questioned whether I should move out of my comfort zone to try something different but I'm still here. Job satisfaction is diminishing, colleagues are generally nice. Maybe I'm just having this 7-year itch. Maybe in 3 years' time, I will still be here to receive my 10 year service award. Haha.

Yesterday, I managed to feel more positive after telling a friend about how I felt. When I was back home, I talked to parents about it over dinner. With good food in my stomach, I felt better too.

Then my heart felt lighter when I was downstairs with mum and the cats. These cats face more challenges (i.e. rainstorm, potential abuser, frightening kids, etc) but they seem carefree and happy in our presence. I always feel at peace when I see them happily eating or resting.

This evening reinforced the positive feelings I got yesterday. Great dinner, parents and cats.
Now 2 of our 4 hamsters are happily running around in the exercise balls. Life is too beautiful for me to feel frustrated and stressed for long :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The guys at my site are facing the same low mood. I've told them to consider why they are feeling this way. Is it the job or the people?

If the job, is it the job scope or the perks? If the job no longer excites them, then change field cos they are dragging themselves to work . If its the perks, change company as there is still the passion in them.

If the people, ie user or boss/colleague, then its dependant on luck regardless where they are.

I'm leaving now cos the user has killed my passion for work and its a chore going to work. I used to look forward, now I don't. And that's bad for the company and the staff as the drive is no longer there...

Let me know your choice! :) But take heart; The Great Cat Up There knows and appreciates what you're giving back to the community cats!

imp said...

i think u're still alright...

if talking helps to alleviate those feelings, then it prob means you're still okay in the job. but if talking still doesn't take away the dread of going to work, then maybe it's time to change a job.

but no harm sending out some resumes and see what offers come along. who knows? there might be something you're interested in!

Dawn said...

You've got the most amazingly positive attitude all the time :)Good for you.

coboypb said...

Esther: Sometimes it's the job, sometimes it's the people. I think I used to feel more passion for the job but I get a bit jaded over time. I guess I'll know it's time to leave if I ever find something more interesting.

Imp: Yes, I'm always on a lookout!

Dawn: I must be positive or I may be at the other extreme - depressed :)