Thursday, May 31, 2007

Mothering a kitten

is tiring! Mum and I have to wake up earlier than usual to feed her when she starts meowing. Before she is toilet trained, we had to rush to the kitchen sink to make her pee and poo before she wet/dirtied herself.

Nowadays I try to come home straight after work to help relieve Mum. The past few days, I had to feed and entertain Angel before I could settle down to eat my dinner around 9pm. By then, Mum and Dad had already finished feeding the community cats and I didn't manage to say my "Hi" and stroke them.

I have told my close friends about Angel and that I can only meet them after work or on weekend when Angel is more grown-up/independent (can eat dry food on her own) and when either sis or Mum can be at home to look after Angel. One of my friends said I sound like a mother with a kid :)

It is very exciting to see Angel using the sand tray to pee and poo. Last night we fed her a bit of wet food and she lapped them up. Just now, I grinded some dry kitten food so that I can sprinkle them over the wet food in the evenings. She still drinks the kitten formula milk from the bottle like a baby.

Angel no longer walks bow-legged and sometimes will run and do little hops like a rabbit. So cute. And I have been taking photos of her but it's not easy to capture good photos when she is active. I should start taking videos of her to capture those moments.

She is also getting bitey and playful. She will lung at our fingers with her mouth opened. I will do finger wrestling or at Mum's suggestion, give her a clean dry cloth to chew on. Her claws/nails are getting sharper and tougher, so when she is in Mum's hands and quiet, I will trim her nails.

I will keep you all posted of her development through more photos here :)

A few friends have asked me. Yes, we are keeping Angel!

5 comments:

kuro.shiro.neko said...

word of advice - do not encourage finger wrestling.

very cute and painless when angel is young, but when she grows up and her bite is stronger, it will hurt and you wont be able to train her if she has been encouraged to play when young.

in fact, should teach her hands are for patting and stroking, not playing.

coboypb said...

Thanks for the advice. Her bite is getting painful as her teeth are sharp and I have been trying to give her toys to chew or push her away when she tries to bite.

Dawn said...

Haha - knew it :)

Yes throw her a toy to distract her. That usually works.

KXBC said...

A firm "No" always does the trick.

Anonymous said...

She sounds like she's teething, if she's looking for things to bite.

A light tap would do, and I read that a light shake of her scruff of the neck will do the trick. Seems this is the mother cat's way of disciplining the kitten. :)