Saturday, November 26, 2005

Porridge for lunch

I always like to eat Mum's porridge or cook my own porridge. Mum taught me her new method of cooking porridge using rice cooker instead of the stove.

First, we cook the rice with water and diced pumpkin. After the rice was cooked, I added half a cup of hot water into the rice cooker, a tablespoon of instant oats, some sesame oil and fish slices and pork (which had been seasoned with half tablespoon of light soya sauce and small amount of non-MSG chicken stock) and some Chinese coriander and spring onions.

The result was this! I like the not salty taste as I didn't add much seasoning. The flavour of the porridge came from the aroma of the fish, herbs, sweetness of the pumpkin. Yummy! I felt good, satisfied and happy eating every spoonful of it :>I will cook porridge for myself using the rice cooker the next time.

2 comments:

jennifer_yq said...

u can also cook brown rice in rice cooker..

first, wash the brown rice and leave a bit of water to soak the rice..

then pour the brown rice into the rice cooker with all the water that u used to soak, add water like normal rice..

wait for half an hour for it to cook..once cook, take out the brown rice, put in the white rice to be cooked, then put in the brown rice that u cooked earlier together with the uncooked white rice..

u will find that the after effect of the brown rice will be softer together with white rice and it good for health too..

my two cats are eating brown rice mixed white rice too..

coboypb said...

Thanks, Jennifer for your tips. Think my mum has tried cooking brown rice with white rice before too. You have given me a good idea of a nutritious meal the next time. Thanks :>