Sunday, October 16, 2005

Some images from my stay in Hua Hin

It won't be accurate for me to say the following photos are representative of Hua Hin, "the oldest beach resort of Thailand, 163 km to the south of Bangkok". If any of you have been to Bangkok, the town area of Hua Hin looks a little like Bangkok but less crowded. I have not really stayed and shopped in Bangkok. I merely had glimpses through the car/van window when I was travelling to and fro Hua Hin and Bangkok International Airport. The other participants of the meeting also told me that what the night markets in Hua Hin offer are not as good as those in Bangkok.

As compared to my past overseas meetings, the photos I took are considerably less. I only took photos in the resort. I didn't take photos of the food I had during the weeklong stay, photos of piles of fried insects, cages of young adorable puppies, rabbits, etc sold at the night market, photos of stray dogs roaming the streets, resting outside the shops or photos of beggars. I don't know why. I wonder if the Thai are happy with their life, selling their wares at the night markets. Perhaps with limited education, there is little else they can do. I saw some Thai trasvesites at night smiling and looking pretty. I saw a stray dog with injured fore legs, limping and crossing the road safety and wondered about its fate. I wondered if the young animals sold at the market will end up with good responsible owners. These images stay with me in my mind. Besides some disturbing thoughts, I have also learned more from this meeting and the conversations I had with the other participants. I will tell you more later.

However, there are some photos that I like and want to share with you :)

We had a few lunches at the Thai Restaurant of Hyatt Regency Hua Hin (the venue of the meeting and also where all participants stayed). It was a nice open air dining experience. Lovely sea breeze and greenery created a good ambience for dining and lively conversations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad that you're back. Are you saying you're not sure why you didn't take pics of those things? I am wondering too....