Sunday, November 01, 2009

Shoes investment

I like the 2 pairs of shoes I bought recently.

The first pair from this brand "Terra Plana" was bought at Barefoot shop at Orchard Ion. It cost me $159 but I'm happy with the purchase for being environmentally friendly (eg. recycled leather). The right shoe pinched my foot a little when I wore it the first time but subsequently, they feel comfortable.



The 2nd pair is Vibram Fivefingers. I read about it on a friend's blog, checked out online reviews and asked another friend how she feels wearing the shoes. I tried them @ Outdoor Life @ Velocity @ Novena Square and they felt comfortable. There was a 10% discount for cash payments and I got the shoes at $179. I walked in them for a few nights, when feeding the cats. When I jogged in them for the first time @ Botanic Gardens, I got blisters on the inner side of my feet. I rectified that when I wore them a week later by wearing my toe socks. My back leg muscles ached quite a bit and I felt good after the jog and best of all, my knees didn't ache :)

5 comments:

Flying raisin said...

I like the white shoes you got. Good buy! The virbram shoes looks interesting, was looking at them at novena too. Good cushioning?

coboypb said...

There's no cushioning. The shoes support the barefoot concept where we learn how to run barefooted like back in those olden days where there are no shoes with support/cushioning. That's why my back leg muscles ache a lot after the jogs :)

There are quite a number of reviews about Fivefingers. Here's one of them: http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_vibram_fivefingers_kso

New York Times has also featured a few articles about barefoot running like this one:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/business/30shoe.html

imp said...

uh oh. i was trying so hard to avoid terra plana. then dang! i came here to see your post. hmmm. VERY tempted now.

and great job with the vibrams. how's the running now? i don't use it to run, but more of a walking shoe.

coboypb said...

Terra plana has some shoes based on barefoot concept but due to my long toes, the fivefingers shoes are a better and more comfy fit. Terra plana has some interesting sandals and high heel shoes.

So far only managed to jog in them twice :) Stopped our weekly jog last week due to work. Looking forward to wearing them again starting this Fri :)

Agy said...

what abt the ones you wore to the office today :-p