Saturday, November 03, 2007

Another abandoned kitten

Sigh. We have a little kitten at home with us. Sis called me after she left the house as she found a kitten at the letterbox area of our void deck. I went down with mom with some kitten wet food and kitty wipes. He's friendly and tackled my sis' foot and birkies by climbing and chewing. He quickly gobbled up the wet food I gave him. I held him and his very bloated stomach in my palm and cleaned him with the wipes. We didn't plan on bringing him home but when I saw how small he is, I don't think he can survive on his own, unless someone brings him home. I guess I have to be that someone.

We don't think this kitten is abandoned by a mother cat as there is only Noisy at the carpet and she's sterilised. We have not seen any roaming pregnant cat around too, so the logical deduction is someone abandoned the kitten. He's so small and scrawny and so loveable.

When we reached home, Mom and I gave him a quick bath as we are not sure if he has any fleas (like when we brought back little Angel). After shower, he's cleaner but still stinks a bit. We have to use Angel's big cage to house him and quarantine him temporarily, instead of letting him running around the house. His temporary name is Charcoal unless Sis or we can think of a better name.


Charcoal seems happy with the few toys we put in the cage. I could feel his tiny teeth when he tried to bite me. His teeth are still not sharp enough to break my skin. He could also eat the kitten dry food.


Angel was hissing at Charcoal just now. I hope he can accept this little boy or it may mean we have to put Charcoal up for adoption.

Angel looks so grown up as compared to Charcoal. I have also made an appointment with the vet for sis and dad to bring Charcoal for a check-up tomorrow. I have to pack some merchandise for Cat Welfare Society for the coming AVA Responsible Pet Ownership Roadshow, so I will attend to that first and be home in the evening to feed the community cats, check on sterilised Tree and the 2 kittens at home.

9 comments:

Nausicaa said...

wow, this is an unexpected big thing to happen! :) Now you have two kitties! Don't be too discouraged that Angel is upset; it's common. Just approach it slowly. Think your friends with two cats would maybe have some experience to share. So, if he does get along with Angel have you decided to keep him or will find him a new home?

coboypb said...

This is something I hope not to happen after we found Angel. It took quite a long time for my parents to get used to Angel around and with this new kitten and Angel looking stressed and disturbed, I'm not sure what to do :( At least we will send the kitten to the vet later and do the cat flu jab and deworm. It's painful to see Angel acting defensive in his home and I have heard from a friend it took his cat 5 months to accept another cat. I don't think we can wait that long. Especially with me, sis and Dad working and mum at home facing the 2 cats.

jennifer_yq said...

Charcoal should be around 1-1.5 month as its belly fur is still not fully grown.

Angel had nature reaction as like what my bigger cats did whenever there is new cat in our house. They will hiss and box and after sometimes, they will get used to the new comer. Of course some cats never accept new cat in the house becoz they are too territorial.Whatever happen, it took time before u decide if the new cat, Chaocoal can be accepted by Angel.

But i also think that Chaocoal will make a good house pet if it is put for adoption. It does look v friendly and sweet. BTW, it remind me very much of my rainbow bridge, Vesak. Pure black.

kuro.shiro.neko said...

charcoal looks so skinny in the photo.

i hope he finds a good home soon.

coboypb said...

The vet told sis that Charcoal is 2 months old and declared he has no lice but gave him some antibiotic to build up his immunity until we can give him his vaccination jab a week or so later. We also need to monitor his stool for any worm as he has a bloated stomach. Vet also fed him the deworming solution.

Angel dares to venture out of our bedroom at times but still hisses and goes back to our room to rest. Our priority is Angel if he doesn't accept Charcoal, we will definitely find Charcoal a good home.

Sis and Mom had their feet nipped and chased by Charcoal this afternoon. He also enjoys playing soccer with this fluffy ball with a bell in it. In terms of his play instinct, he seems quicker and more interested than Angel. He displays no fear of us and is very vocal :)

lingcat said...

Angel is young, he should be able to accept Charcoal. They will be playing together soon.

It doesn't make a difference between having 1 or 2 cats. =)

KXBC said...

2 cats are better than one as they have each other for company and will not be so dependent on humans for companionship. See Aunty P's Snowy and Coco as example.

But the dynamics change if you introduce the 3rd.

Anonymous said...

Soooo cute
where did u buy the rat toy..?

coboypb said...

The rat/mouse toy comes in a set of 3 and we bought them from Ikea recently.