Sunday, January 14, 2007

Snake show and Blood Diamond

After finishing our dinner of porridge in one of eateries at the shophouses of China, my friend K and I were greeted by a stage show just outside the closed street. An Indian snake charmer was explaining his 3 baskets of snakes. The last 2 snakes were the King Cobra and the American Albino python. We learnt that breed of python is not from the wild but breed on farms and it does not harm humans. But it is an expensive pet to own as the charmer said he paid $15,000 for it. The python seems quite tame as the charmer invites members of the audience to come up stage, have the python drape over their shoulders and get their family/friends to take photos for them. Chinese New Year is more than a month away but the streets of Chinatown were already quite crowded.

Last night was the first time I watched a movie @ The Cathay (near Plaza Singapura). We watched Blood Diamond as I heard about the good reviews and I think Leonardo DiCaprio is a good actor after seeing him in The Departed. Blood Diamond is a good movie due to the cast and the storyline. I won't have known about the controversy behind diamonds, more about the child soldiers if not for this movie. A few months ago, I bought a pair of diamond earrings for myself after a good recommendation by a friend's sister. After watching the movie, I wonder what is the point of paying so much money for diamond. The diamond earrings I have shall be the only diamond accessory I own. Another point that I feel the movie tries to bring across subtly is that when one dies, what's important is not wealth, but the loved ones, friends, family around you and the happy memories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Another point that I feel the movie tries to bring across subtly is that when one dies, what's important is not wealth, but the loved ones, friends, family around you and the happy memories." ....Great...now you spoiled the ending.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you enjoyed the movie.