Sunday, January 21, 2007

Poor cat

After Bam's party ended in the afternoon, one of her friends messaged her that she saw a tortured looking, blind cat @ the void deck downstairs. I then went down and walked around the block but didn't see any cat. When I was about to give up, I looked across to the next block and saw something like a cat lying near the rubbish chute behind a shop. I walked towards it and was shocked to see it in such bad conditions. It hissed a little @ me when I moved nearer to it.

I went back to Bam's place and after some discussion, I called SPCA and understand that I should try to confine the cat before they can come down to pick up the cat. I went to the nearby provision shop to buy some canned cat food and dry cat food. The cat showed no interest in the styrofoam plate of food. I gently used the edge of the plate to nudge its chin but it didn't open its move. I think it was scared of me as it started to very slowly moved away and crouched down again . I thought it was blind until I saw its beautiful green eyes full of discharge . A housefly landed on its back and it didn't attempt to swipe it away. The whole time except when I tested its patience, the cat just crouched in that position. I called SPCA again to tell the lady that the cat just stayed put where it was and looked very sick. She said SPCA would treat this as an emergency case and its driver would come to pick it up. I waited at Bam's place and 30 mins later, I didn't see the cat there and got worried and called SPCA. The lady said the driver was already out and she would call him. 15 mins later, I called again and I was relieved to hear that the cat had been sent to the clinic. However, the lady said she won't be able to disclose the fate of the cat.

I hope the cat is no longer suffering.

24 comments:

JerL said...

Such cruelty... poor cat must be really tortured and looked very painful. Glad to hear that the cat received some medical help. The society should have more animal lovers and kind heart.

Anonymous said...

oh no! The cat looks so miserable. Glad you were there to help. Hope it is no longer suffering...

DK said...

Wish that whoever did this will burn in hell

Anonymous said...

Poor cat :(

Anonymous said...

Sending strays or abandoned kittens to SPCA is an automatic death sentence.

But in this case, euthanasia would be a lesser evil.

Still, if you spot a healthy looking abandoned kitten, or even a mildly-injured cat anywhere, DO NOT send it to the SPCA. It's as good as running it over with a car.

Contact the Cat Welfare Society or Mutts & Mittens instead. Or some other cat welfare organisation (there're lots).

Just not the SPCA.

catlover

Anonymous said...

This cat would most likely be put to sleep. Just look at the condition it is in and you would know what the SPCA will do.

edelyn said...

omg this is so sad. I saw a dead cat lying on the ecp when i went past yesterday it was so saddening im still thinking about it now URG

Singapore Community Cat said...

Thank you for doing something for this cat.
We can continue to help this cat by taking care of other community cats, speaking out for them for sterilisation instead of killing, speaking out against abuse, etc.
Let not this cat die in vain.
Its pain is gone now.

Jimmy said...

Most people would not have cared about that cat. Thank you for not closing your eyes and walking by like most of us would have done. You inspire me to be better.

Gesline said...

We can anticipate the actions of SPCA from here. The public should be educated or inform of other organisations that do take in animals like these.

http://www.asdsingapore.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1327&Itemid=72

Ber Ber said...

Hey, thanks for doing something for the cat.

God bless.

Meow said...

It makes me cringe just thinking about the kind of sick mind that would do such a thing. I'm glad the cat is in a better place.

Anonymous said...

a better place? like The Void? Or Cat Heaven?

Anonymous said...

It's true that sending stray or abandoned cats to SPCA is almost a natural death sentence, I sent a perfectly healthy kitten about 2.5 months old there before and I found out that it was killed within 3 days ( i later regretted and went back wanting to bring the kitten home)

SPCA has very limitted resources... it will be better to approach other rescue organizations for help if possible.

Anyhow, thanks for helping out this poor cat. I hope he/she is not suffering anymore too.

auntie p said...

Oh mine! That's the sorriest stray cat I'd ever seen...poor thing. :(

Unknown said...

poor cat. hope he/she gets well soon.

thanks for being considerate and calling the SPCA.

bliz said...

poor cat...she could have been put down.

Anonymous said...

how can they do this to her?its great tt u tried to save the cat.(:
but next time, dont call up SPCA, u'll noe what they'll do. try Cats Welfare society.

juz_A_ga| said...

The papers should also be alerted of such cases. It may mean an animal abuser in the area - and therefore someone violent.

I still can't believe the ridiculously light sentences we give for such abusers.

I hope the person who did this gets attached by cats and suffers like how it made the cat suffer.

coboypb said...

Wow I'm surprised to see many comments today. Actually I'm not sure if the cat has been abused or it is just neglected and very sick. We'll never know. It was not an easy decision for me but since I had made that choice, I have to live with it and think that it's the best I can do for the cat. Glad to hear that you all care for the community cats.

Anonymous said...

Poor kitty... hope whoever who did this get their due punishments!!!!

Firehost465 said...

Hope that the cat is relieved from its pain.

The culprit is really sick in the head to do this.

Its good to see that such reports are highlighted on the Internet. People should be educated to know the appropriate actions needed to be carried out.

Anonymous said...

pain!!!!

when i first saw the picture i was SHOCKED! how could anyone in the right mind do this to a poor defenseless cat?

omg wat is the world coming to???

thx for doin wat u did..

may the cat be in a land of peace and joy..

Anonymous said...

it pains me to see such cases, i am working in an animal clinic and my advice to all of you out there is that when u happen to stumble onto such horrid cases please please do not bother to call/report to SPCA. spca is NOTHING! in spore and i hve the no respect for them at all! they are reluctant to do what they are suppose to do and worst, cases like this are normally PTS(put to sleep)!

i would strongly encourage to send the cats in(animals clinic).

- leigh anne