Saturday, August 08, 2009

Last night in Hua Hin

My bosses and colleagues have left yesterday/this morning. I have been tasked to attend a workshop today as no one wanted to attend or think it’s necessary for them to attend but there should be a representation. Anyway, it was an interesting experience. The topics and issues discussed were interesting. The participants, resource persons and facilitators were also friendly. I didn’t really mingle with most of participants when my colleagues were around. Today I had the opportunity to talk to some of them.

As usual, there are tea breaks (coconut juice, raw crunchy mango slices to be dipped into blend of salt, sugar and chilli bits and other Thai kuehs) and authentic Thai food lunch (the tom yam soup was really spicy). After lunch, we had to take a short bus ride to some swampy areas to plant some tree saplings. We were all dressed in office attires and jackets and had to rolled up our pants and wear some cloth boots to dig the soft soil/mud to plant our 2 saplings. I managed to walk on drier mud and didn’t get my feet stuck in the mud like what happened to a few participants. But I was perspiring from the heat. It was fun though :)

Dinner was also catered for at the hotel’s restaurant. I had a short walk with a participant from China before dinner and he asked if he could speak in Chinese. I warned him about my horrid Chinese. He feels comfortable speaking Chinese even though he is fluent in English and studied and used it for work. I had to ask him to explain certain words in English and I used English when I don’t know the Chinese words to convey my message. It was a nice chat as we talked about our countries, our work and lifestyle. He is younger than me and also frank in sharing his views. I guess speaking Chinese does help to form some kind of bond more easily. When he had to leave dinner halfway for Bangkok airport, I joined another table to talk to 2 other participants. We all felt more relaxed after finishing the meetings and workshop. I may be seeing some of them again when they attend some meetings in Singapore in Oct.

I didn’t join the other participants to the night market just now since I had visited it on Tues. I also want to check office emails and maybe write a brief report about today's workshop,before packing my luggage. I will be waking up before 6am tomorrow and leave the hotel at 7am for 2-3 hour’ road ride to the airport. I can’t wait to be home :)

2 comments:

imp said...

sounds like a fruitful time on your own! work trips can be fun!

coboypb said...

I wasn't looking forward to it as it wasn't part of my work portfolio and it was to stand in for my colleague. My role wasn't clear too. But there are interesting and learning moments :)