Sunday, October 14, 2007

Picnic at Singapore Botanic Gardens

We visited the gardens on Saturday morning and it was raining quite heavily. We sought shelter near the NParks HQ under the sheltered walkway and had our picnic. Bam made yummy pepper tuna with parsley and basil to go with crackers. FR made salad of beans and lettuce and also Ikea's swedish meatballs. Jerl brought the ingredients (picnic ham, beef pastrami, lettuce, cheese, bread, thousand island sauce) for sandwiches and I just came with strawberries, grapes, kiwis and bought some tartlets from the bakery near my place.


After a sumptious meal, the rain stopped and we could take a leisurely walk. At the Palm Valley. we were surprised to see a cat resting near a Malay family at the field. When I went near her, she was friendly and let me stroke her.

We wonder whether she was abandoned. Bam's sweetie was also interested in the cat and probably the cat reminds her of their pet cat at home.


We made our way towards the Bukit Timah core of the garden as we would like to check out the new Jacob Ballas Children's Garden. On the way, there were lovely flowers

squirrels (my friends were admiring the squirrel they spotted)


When we reached the Bukit Timah Core, we all felt very hot under the great heat of the sun. The lake with the black swans looked very peaceful.

The garden is really a good place to teach children about nature and they will be curious and ask questions about the interesting things they see.


The reception area leading to the entrance of the Children’s garden is nice.

The butterfly glass window next to the drive-in.

The tree structure.

The small chairs for the kids at the café.

I followed Bam and her sweetie into the garden while the others rested outside. I’m glad to have done so. The child in me was and still is awed by the different beautiful parts of the garden

– the maze,
flowers, the lamp posts, interesting activities for the kids,
shelters (perfect for future picnics), mini house.
The slides looked nice in the tree house setting but you won’t find me going down a slide. Bam’s sweetie did try the slide twice and she looked a bit scared but seemed to also like the experience.

I don’t mind going to the Children’s Garden with my friends again or ask my parents to bring me there :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've already been thinking about when to go back. Was quite pleasantly surprised at the size of the place; initially thought it's only one or two exhibits. Hope that there are some good fine days to go exploring them one by one and reading up the info contained in those cute butterfly signs.

Anonymous said...

That's the palm valley cat. She's a permanent resident of the gardens.