Friday, October 12, 2007

Baking - ups and downs


I was on leave yesterday to spend time with Mom and also bake ginger cookies. I hope to be able to give some to my friends to enjoy over the weekend. I got a shock when the first tray of baked cookies tasted dry, powdery and salty. I followed the ingredient amounts and the recipe
instructions. The only slight change is instead of adding the warm mixture of melted butter and golden syrup to the dry mixture of other ingredients, I only put the wet mixture in a few hours later after I went out for lunch and grocery shopping with Mom. I think that may cause the dough not to be binded properly and hence the texture of the cookies. I also reduce the sugar content as the cookies tasted quite sweet the last time. I feel so disappointed with yesterday’s cookies I tried to save them by adding some chocolate chips but they are not the same as the yummy soft ginger cookies that my family, friends and I ate and raved about a few weeks ago.

My family said they are edible and told me they will help me to eat. After spending yesterday afternoon baking them, I can’t really bear to throw them away. I shall freeze them and slowly eat them over a month. I will try to bake my nice cookies again after that.

Luckily, the shepherd pie I baked turned out nice.

Mum helped to prepare the ingredients (mushroom, pumpkin, potato, carrot, etc) while I was mourning over and making the cookies. The pie was for dinner yesterday and the leftovers can be kept in the fridge for other days when we feel like having it as a meal.

I stir-fried the mushrooms, carrots and minced beef with the can of vegetable soup. After pouring the cooked stuff into the pyrex dish, I layered the mashed potato and pumpkin on top before sprinkling the cheese.

Mom also stir-fried some udon and bee hoon. The seafood chilli added a zest to the dish and reminded me of curry crab but Dad didn’t like the smell of lemon grass.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you could try to crush the cookies and make a base for cheesecake. otherwise you could crush them and eat them with icecream - that always turns out quite nice. you are not alone, i have a batch of cake that was hard & dry from 2 weeks ago, still plodding my way through them as my family is not around to sacrifice their tummies for the 'waste not' cause.

coboypb said...

I have put almost half of the cookies in the freezer, so that maybe I can slowly eat them within a month :)

Anonymous said...

The cheesecake base is a good idea. I haven't made cheesecake for ages. Quite a decadant indulgence! And already having too many cakes as it is. I am quite tempted by the shepherd's pie, it's such a comfort food, even tho' someone I know said it's a "leftovers" food. ;p