Friday, December 02, 2005

Naughty boy

Mum and I went down to our park downstair to feed the cats. Recently, a new unsterilised male cat has appeared, disturbing the other cats. I call him White Neck. He is very interested in Shadow and initially Shadow (who's sterilised) was so frightened of his attention that she would run away or even climb up the tree. Now she seems to be able to manage him or tolerate his existence.

However, poor Hunter (unsterilised) is still afraid of White Neck and White Neck seems to be rather territorial and stalk Hunter if he sees Hunter nearby. So if White Neck is in the area, I won't see Hunter within 10 metre radius. White Neck seems to be possessive of us too. He is quite affectionate in a way and will greet us by rubbing his face, body against our legs, hands (or is he marking us?). If we feed other cats, he would kaypoh or even irritate the other cats (sterilised) and Hunter.

I would like to send him to the vet for sterilisation and hope to see a change in his behaviour. However, I heard if he is at a mature age, his behaviour will remain the same. I also understand that one needs to trap the cat around 10pm the night before and not give it any food and water and send the cat to the vet the next day. I have spoken to my mum and she is not for the idea that I trap the cat and bring it home. She is concerned that the cat will make a lot of noise and disturb our sleep and also neighbours.

During Jolanda's demonstration of the cat trap @ CWS party, her tips are to cover the cat trap with a cloth and place the trap in one corner of the house and not disturb the cat. I'm willing to give it a try. However, Mum's objections and probably Dad's make it impossible.

I wonder if I could try trapping the cat early in the morning (say 6am) and stay with it in the park until people's usual waking hours, say 8am. I can then bring it home until it's time to send the cat to the vet. I wonder if this is a feasible plan. I shall check with Dawn. Any of you have any advice? Thanks.

This is the photo I have taken of Shadow and White Neck.


From that spot, behind the cats is our flat (the 3rd one from the top with clothes hanging out).

White Neck was satisfied after food and water. Actually he looked kind of fierce here. He was so naughty. I was feeding Hunter outside the 10 metre radius but somehow White Neck managed to spot us and escape from Mum's attention and wanted to approach us. I had to show him my pointer finger and scold him "Naughty boy, don't come and disturb us" and perhaps startled by my angry tone, he left us alone, so that Hunter can eat in peace.

No comments: