Saturday, July 21, 2007

Bungalow and Beng Hiang

I just realise that I have visited 2 eating places that start with a "B".

For lunch yesterday, my 2 friends and I ate at Bungalow Tapas Bar & Grill at the new extension of United Square. We wanted to try Matsuo Sushi Restaurant at Goldhill Plaza but it was so packed that we couldn't even get in. Joan then remembered reading about Bungalow and we really enjoyed our set lunches there. By adding $4.50 to the cost of our main course, we ordered mushroom/chilled tomato soup or salad, tea/coffee/orange/lime juice and a scoop of ice cream.

Carrie and I like the homemade mushroom soup as we can taste the little bits of mushrooms. Joan had the salad.

Grilled oregano chicken with some raisin rice for Carrie who found it a bit bland.

I like the spicy prawn linguine but I had some difficulty peeling the prawns using my cutlery instead of my fingers :)

Joan enjoyed her seafood fuscilli in caper sauce.

We were satisfied after ending our lunch with chocolate ice-cream.

The ambience is nice too.

The friendly operations manager also came over a few times to check with us how we find the food and also let us know of Bungalow's other promotions and plans. The average cost per person is about $22.

Dinner with Joan and some more friends was at Beng Hiang Restaurant at Amoy Street. This place serves Hokkien cuisine. The kong bak paus,

fish maw thick soup (yummy with vinegar),

oyster omelette

are good.

The noodles taste not bad to me - e wet version of hokkien mee and I can taste the prawn broth that goes into the gravy but some of my friends find it not very tasty.
The ngoh hiang is popular there.

We also had yam pie.

The portions there are quite huge. The small order of kong bak paus comes in 10 paus! So it's better to go there in a bigger group or with big eaters.

Joan was very funny to try heating up one of the paus over the pot of hot Chinese tea.

The restaurant also gave us complimentary beancurd skin, barley and ginko nut dessert

With good food and great company, I was wearing a smile yesterday :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey babe, you're right! Food was fabulous :oP ``` But the company and inevitable laughter and fun were even better. Thanks so very much for arranging this lovely get together! You're always so thoughtful. :o)