Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Lemongrass drink

I have fallen in love with lemongrass drink ever since I tried it @ Ee-Sarn Thai Restaurant @ Sixth Avenue with my friend sometime this year. I have made it a few times at home, using lemongrass stalks, pandan leaves, ginger and rock sugar. My version tastes almost as good as Ee Sarn's one.

A month ago, when I was dining @ Canton-I @ Ion with another friend, I ordered their Lemongrass Jasmine Tea. It tasted lovely too with the crushed ice and fresh lemongrass as decoration. It cost more than $8 though, as compared to Ee-Sarn ($3+ if I remember correctly) and mine (priceless for my efforts!).

As I'm on leave and at home today, I cooked Mom lunch (tom yam soba with mussel and veggies again) and made the lemongrass drink. Mom and Dad had a cup while I downed 2. Yummy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the drink too. Can share recipe?

Thanks.
Carol

coboypb said...

I actually improvise after looking at a few recipes online. Ingredients are at least 2 stalks of lemongrass (cut into smaller pieces), ginger (many/few chucks or slices, depending on how much you like ginger), at least 2 pandan leaves, about 5 cups of water (or a medium size pot) and a handful of rock sugar (or more depending on how sweet you want it). Add the ingredients when the water is boiling. Let it continue to boil until the water turn darker in colour or until you taste/smell the lemongrass, pandan leaves and ginger. Add rock sugar and stir the mixture till the sugar dissolves. The lemongrass drink is ready. You can drink it warm, let it cool or chill it or add ice. I usually leave the ginger and lemongrass in the pot but will remove the pandan leaves as Mom said it will make the drink taste bitter if left too long.

Anonymous said...

Thanks ! I love lemongrass tea too...:)

Carol

sweeteepye said...

I will have to go find some stalks and try to grow it! I love it too. And maybe one day, I'll get to try your priceless version?? ;p

coboypb said...

Yes, I hope to let you and friends try my lemongrass drink one day too :)