Sunday, November 05, 2006

Ramblings of a 28 year-old happy single

Last night was one of the rare nights that I went to bed before 11pm. I was so tired and after giving my legs a massage using the Relax massage oil and applying my face cream, I zzzz for 8 hours.

I woke up @ 7am this morning. I had my breakfast and finished off the last of the Tokyo Banana while reading the Straits Times newspapers.

Mum earlier saw the front page of ST's lifestyle section and commented it's a pity that the attractive-looking woman (shown on the front page) has difficulty in finding her Mr Right. Of course, mum had to turn to me and said I have to buck up and do something about my singlehood. Haha. I'm leaving it to fate and at this moment, I feel happy, spending my free time with old and new friends, my family, hamsters, cats, pursuing my interests.

Of course, what irks me at times is I couldn't make up my mind what I really want to do for my livelihood. Sometimes I wonder if I should just continue to doing the work I have been doing since I graduated or there is something out there for me. But I do not regret the path I have chosen as through my work and non-work interests, I have met many good friends and also learnt a lot about the world, human nature and myself.

Recently, a friend mentioned about turning 30 next year and finds that scary. I currently still have 2 more years to go before hitting 30 but I think what's important is we are able to celebrate our birthday every year with happy thoughts that our family, friends (human and animal) are well and happy too.

I find my relationships with my family, friends, acquaintances, colleagues do have an impact on how I feel about myself. They have the power to make me feel good or even sometimes lousy about myself and I try to use them as encouragement or feedback to be mindful of my actions and improve myself. It can also be a test on how strong my value system and self-esteem are. I must thank my parents for nurturing me for part of who I am. The rest of the credit will go to my good friends (they provide praises as positive reinforcement when I am a good girl) and myself. Hee.

It may be a bit early for me to review my life for the past year but I always feel it's good to do some soul searching now and then. Once a friend smsed me out of the blue to ask me how I was. I replied "I'm happy with life". I hope I will continue to be optimistic about life because my behaviour, mood and attitude do affect the people around me and if there is anything I can do for them, it is through our interactions/discussions that we feel life is wonderful and be happy for who we are and what we have or if we aren't very happy, be proactive and do something about it :)

1 comment:

Dawn said...

You're one of the happiest, most optimistic people I know. Always cheerful and an inspiration to all!