Monday, November 20, 2006

Karaoke

The quality of English karaoke music video @ the KTVs I have been so far is quite dismal. Unlike Mandarin and Cantonese songs, they are not the original MTVs of the songs featuring the singers and the original music accompaniment. This afternoon, I only managed to find the original MTV for LeAnn Rimes' How do I live without you, Backstreet Boys' Shape of my heart and Qiqin's Longer. Most of the English music videos seems to be some low cost production with some particular girl flicking her hair or giving an intense look into the camera, jarring music, scenery shoots, etc.

From 2pm to almost 7pm today, I heard quite a number of nice Mandarin and Cantonese songs crooned by my 2 friends. I only sang a Mandarin song called Tong Hua (and quite badly as I normally sing English songs and my recognition of Chinese characters is not good). Maybe I should start listening to Mandarin and Cantonese songs to improve my spoken Mandarin and Cantonese. Sometimes I think it's quite sad that being a Cantonese, I couldn't hold a conversation with my grandmother in that dialect. I could only understand and say basic words. My spoken Mandarin is barely functional too, so when I speak to some of my friends and other people who are more comfortable with Mandarin, it's normally a mixture of Mandarin and English words. I guess it's never too late to start learning :)

No comments: