Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fat mama with a missing leg :(

Fat Mama was missing for over a week. We didn't see her at the void deck, on top of cars, under them, etc. Initially we thought someone has brought her home as she has such an adorable face. Her black fur sister, Black Mama seemed lost without her as they usually ate together and enjoy each other's company. a feeder saw her on Wed morning with an injured dangling left hind leg. I tried to catch her that night but she ran very fast on 3 legs and went hiding from under one car to another each time I went on my knees and tried to reach out to her. On Thurs night Dad called me when he was with her in the carpark. She did struggle a little when I had to grab her scruff and gently put her into carrier.

The vet did an xray on her on Friday morning and told me her hip bone was fractured and her lower leg had already no feeling due to damaged nerve, so Fat Mama's leg had to be amputated. The vet said her injury could be due to a car accident. We visited Fat Ma yesterday afternoon. She looked alert. While I'm glad to see her wide-eyed and alert, we are sad to see her in this state. The vet assistant said that she had been fed painkiller but not eaten much and suggested that I could handfeed her some food. Although Fat mama seemed a bit grouchy, she allowed us to stroke us. She must be hungry as she tried to lick and eat the wet food from my fingers and palm. It was quite messy with bits of food dropping onto the towel, the Elizabeth collar but at least she was eating. My heart ached when she sometimes wobbled to balance herself to sit up with her remaining hind leg. She can be discharged on Mon and Lingcat will help me to look after her for the next few weeks while I find her a good home. She can't be released back to her old home with her sister. The feeder has offered to adopt her if we can't find any adopters. Now I just want to see her get well and back on her feet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

She was lucky, you nursed her with good care. And she will get cared for after recuperation.

She's got lots of blessings counting!! Lucky Fat Mama.. Yep, she's really adorable with those big bright shiny eyes.

Trish

Dawn said...

Poor Fat Mama!

coboypb said...

Hope she will adapt well like Scout.

Anonymous said...

Fat Mama is so lucky to meet ur dad and u. May she recover well and find a nice home to give her lot of love.. hug hug, fat mama..

Meredith Sledge said...

Such a precious kitty!!!!