Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Never let me go" by Kazuo Ishiguro

My eyes feel tired and it is partly due to me reading for a few hours till bedtime (midnight) the past few nights. I was excited to get hooked on "Never let me go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. I don't read as much as I like and I'm picky. This could be the only book I read in the last 6 months, I think. I can't even remember the last book I read. Hee.

I couldn't stop reading the book after flipping the first few pages, so I tried to read as much as I can on the bus and train to and from office and at night. It is not a happy story. I didn't cry but I do feel a little sad for Kath, Tommy and Ruth who had to fend for themselves and in the end had their hopes dashed. Even after they all came together and cleared the misunderstandings, it seemed that they had to accept their fate which was something bigger than themselves. There are some unanswered questions. Maybe the movie (starring Carey Mulligan of "An Education" and Keira Knightley) can help me understand better.

I've found a few good reviews on the book and the movie, but they are a bit of a spoiler:

2 comments:

Agy said...

Hey, An Education is goooood!!

coboypb said...

I like the movie too :)